Sunday, November 16, 2008

Tennis: I'm back in shape, says Federer

PETALING JAYA: Swiss tennis ace Roger Federer has shrugged offa back injury that saw him make an early exit in Shanghai and has promised to give Malaysian fans a treat in the Showdown of Champions at the Putra Stadium in Kuala Lumpur tomorrow night.

The former world number one, who suffered from back pains and a stomach upset at the Masters Cup, said that the three-day break he had since losing to Andy Murray has helped him recover for the event.



KL-bound: Roger Federer of Switzerland will be the star attraction for the Showdown of Champions event at the Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil tomorrow. - AFP

“There is no miracle cure but the short break means I will be back to my best for the event,” said the US Open champion in a tele-conference held here yesterday.

“I’m looking forward to my trip to Kuala Lumpur as I enjoyed my time here last year. Obviously, it is going to be different this time as then the focus was on Pete Sampras and myself.

“This time, there are two legends, John McEnroe and Bjorn Borg in the picture, as well as James Blake. I have never played against McEnroe before and I am certainly looking forward to it.”

Federer will also be taking part in a meet-the-fans session at the lobby of the Petronas Twin Towers between 11.45am and 12.25pm tomorrow.

The Showdown of Champions will see Federer facing off with Blake while Borg and McEnroe will meet in a singles match. The quartet will then play a doubles match with Federer and Borg taking on the two Americans.

Federer, who won the Olympic gold in the men’s doubles, said: “I used to play doubles when I was younger but the focus has been on singles and the Grand Slams events.”

On playing against the two legends, Federer said: “My experiences at Wimbledon will help me relate to Borg and McEnroe who have been champions at Wimbledon as well.”

Meanwhile, a lucky tennis fan among those who purchase tickets for the Showdown of Champions will drive away Proton Satria Neo.


No comments:

Post a Comment